Summer is in full swing and this is the perfect time to skip the over-air conditioned, smelly gym and get outdoors for your workout! We’ve selected some key events and spots in our cities (NYC + LA) where you can escape the gym environment and get a sun sweat going! Let’s go!
NEW YORK CITY
- Bryant Park: Every Tuesday and Thursday throughout the summer, Bryant Park hosts yoga classes featuring amazing yoga teachers like Elena Brower, Kat Fowler, Rodney and Colleen Saidman Yee, Dana Flynn, and more. Plus these classes are FREE! GO NOW!
- Union Square: This is a must check out asap! Union Square Partnship will be hosting their Summer Series in the Square with a line up of classes ranging from yoga to HIIT training to hip hop lessons to Pilates.
- Run Soho with Lole: Every week, Lole New York located in Soho meet up and run like the wind. Get motivated by this intimate group of runners and run your hearts out!
- South Plaza Flatiron: New Yorkers are stoked by the Flatiron transition that propped up a large open space with outdoor seating and now offering a free community program with loads of workshops, classes, and trainings. Be in the midst of the bustling Flatiron District and while working up a sweat!
- Stair Climbing at Baldwin Hills or Santa Monica Stairs: Who needs the StairMaster when you’ve got these stairways to a tough workout? The stairs at Baldwin Hills take you up to a scenic overlook and lead to trail hiking showcasing a gorgeous panoramic view of the entire Los Angeles Basin, the Pacific Ocean, and its surrounding mountains. Once a hidden gem turned into a hot spot for workouts, the Santa Monica Stairs are great for a gentle climb up or an intense lower body and cardio routine. Take your pick!
- Venice Beach: Catch some rays and dive into FitBit’s series of free yoga and fitness workouts all summer long. So much to choose from so little summer time. Go!
- Santa Monica Beach: From bootcamp classes to beach yoga, the beach setting will inspire you to work your butt off while working on your tan. Also a hot spot for beach volleyball, surfing and swim lessons, jungle gyms for those looking for calisthenic workout, Santa Monica Beach is nothing short of an all natural outdoor gym.
- Mount Baldy: The Trail Runners Club takes your runs on the road and puts your endurance to the test. Every Sunday, run uphill for 11 miles or so on either the Santa Monica or San Gabriel Mountains. Breathe in fresh mountain air, take in the scenic view, and motivate yourself with this group of die hard runners.
That’s what Summer is all about so go out and take advantage of the sun, sand, and grass! Take in the sights while getting your workout on. Have fun and work hard!
About Julia Chan
Julia is the Managing Partner for Provita. She is also a Certified Personal Trainer through NASM and a Registered Yoga Teacher. Julia brings a unique style of training to Provita sessions. Combining her years of experience in business management and fitness, she harnesses a sincere love and passion for teaching and educating clients on how to live a healthy and fit life. Her goal is to share her love for fitness and provide the best possible Provita experience to all.